Wednesday, November 2, 2011

An Unexpected Miracle Chapter 21

Chapter Twenty-One
     The girls sat in various stages of repose.  Jennifer, being the only one not pregnant, had her legs thrown over the arms of her chair, popcorn nestled in her lap.  Marla, who was only a couple months along, was the most of agile of the “baby club” and had chosen to sit on the floor with her back resting on the couch where Gretchen was squirming, trying to find a comfortable position.  Marilee was slumped in a chair across from Jennifer, her feet resting on the ottoman she had pulled up.  She had a bag of goldfish resting on her large belly.
     “This was a good idea,” Jennifer commented as they watched the movie.  “Although why we’re watching a Star Trek movie is beyond me.”
     “It’s the whales,” Mari responded, popping a goldfish in her mouth.  “I love the whale movie.”
     “Yeah, me too” Marla agreed.  “Although if you tell anyone, I’ll deny it vehemently.  My favorite part is where Spock speaks the ‘language of the times’.”
     “We’re watching Nemo next,” Gretchen announced.  “I thought we should stick to the water theme.”
     There was quiet for a while as the movie played then Mari groaned.  “Pause the movie,” she commanded as she struggled out of her chair.  “I have to pee.”
     “Again?” Marla’s voice was shocked.  “You just went twenty minutes ago.”
     “Yes, again.  Just wait until you’re this far along.  It feels like Junior is playing kickball with my bladder.”
     “Really?” Marla looked over her shoulder to see Gretchen nod.
     “Oh, yeah,” she confirmed.  “Though it’s not quite that bad for me yet.”
     Mari finally waddled back into the room and resettled in her chair.  “So much better,” she sighed with happiness as she propped up her feet.  Before Jennifer could hit the play button, Gretchen climbed off the couch.  “Hold that thought, Jen.  I gotta go now.”
     “So, how have you been feeling lately, Mari?” Marla asked as they waited for Gretchen to return.
     “Are you asking professionally or personally?”
     “Both.”
     “I’m tired, I’m fat, and my feet hurt.  Other than that I’m doing just peachy.”
     Marla ignored the sarcasm knowing it masked the true pain she was feeling.  “First, you are not fat.  You’re eight months pregnant.  Second, you can alleviate the pain and swelling in your feet by actually getting off them once in a while, which should also help with that first one.”
     “Should I be recording this to play back for you?  Greg does talk you know.”
     “What has that man been saying about me?”
     “Let’s just say his stimulating dinner conversation has pretty much fallen on deaf ears.  Or should I say sleeping ones?”
     “That rat!  I told him not to say anything.”  Marla looked over at Jennifer to explain.  “I fell asleep at the dinner table the other night.  Right into my spaghetti.”  When Mari started giggling Marla threw her a glare.  “I was tired!  I had a full load of patients!” she defended herself.
     “Yeah, I’ll bet.  Greg said it took almost an hour to get the sauce out of your hair.”
     “Children,” Jennifer interrupted before Marla could throw out another comment.  “Let’s play nice.”
     “What did I miss?” Gretchen asked as she plopped back down on the couch.
     “Not a thing,” Jennifer assured her, casting a silencing frown in Mari’s direction.  “Are we ready?”  She pressed play before anyone could answer.
     There were a few moments of quiet as the movie played.  Jennifer caught a flash of movement out of the corner of her eye and saw the first goldfish fly.  It was quickly followed by a Swedish fish, then all manner of other odds and ends.  She turned up the volume on the television so she could hear over the laughter and grinned to herself.  Yes, this had been a very good idea indeed.
     When the ruckus had finally calmed Jennifer turned off the movie.  “Look at the mess you’ve made,” she admonished them, a fake scowl on her face.  Before she could add anything else, Mari, Marla, and Gretchen all launched their ammunition at Jennifer and the war began again.
     “Oh, my,” Mari breathed, when they had finally stopped.  She looked over her family room.  “We made a mess.”
     “Master of the obvious,” Gretchen laughed, then groaned.  “Stop making me laugh.  I have to go to the bathroom again.”
     “You go,” Jennifer ordered, “and we’ll start cleaning up.”
     It took thirty minutes for order to be restored to the family room due to a couple of small skirmishes that broke out.  By the time they were finished picking up it was after ten.  Jennifer shooed Marla and Gretchen out the door, then turned to face Mari.
     “So, how are you really doing?” she asked when they were alone.
     “It’s hard, Jen,” Mari answered, walking back into the family room a hand pressed into the small of her back trying to alleviate the persistent ache.  “I have about six weeks to go, and I have no idea if Joe will come home.”  She lowered herself into a chair.  “I haven’t heard anything from him and if someone else has, I don’t know about it.”
     “Have you tried contacting him?”
     “No,” Mari sighed.  “I can’t tell you how many times I’ve picked up the phone, then put it down again.  I just have no idea what to say.”
     “You know, Mary, Jesus’ mother, was a tremendous woman.”  At Mari’s questioning glance, Jennifer continued.  “She was young, alone, and had just been told that she was going to have a baby.  But she trusted God absolutely.  I doubt it was easy for her.  How do you tell the man you’re going to marry that you’re pregnant?  And not just pregnant, but pregnant by the Holy Spirit and carrying the Son of God.”  Jennifer paused and walked over to the window.  She gazed out at the night, watching the reflection of twinkling lights on the snow.  “Joseph was going to divorce her.  But still she trusted.”
     “It’s kind of ironic how our stories seem to mirror each other.  But I’m not carrying God’s son.”
     “Well, actually Mari, in a way you are.  All believers are God’s children.  And I’m fairly positive you plan to raise this child in a Christian home.  He or she may come to know the Lord and choose to follow him.  In which case, you are raising a future son or daughter of God.”
     “It sounds so wonderful when you say it like that Jen,” Mari sighed.  “But I’m not sure I’m as strong as Jesus’ mother.  Joseph was told in a dream not to divorce Mary.  I don’t think my Joe is going to get that message.  And I don’t know if I can raise this child without Joe’s help.”
     “It’s true that Joseph did stay with Mary and they had other children together.  But after that scene in the temple when Jesus was twelve, Joseph isn’t mentioned again.  How do you know Mary didn’t raise her children alone after Jesus was twelve?”
     Mari did not answer and Jennifer remained silent for a few moments.
     “You and Joe are both facing big issues here, Mari.  Mark has never told me what he and Joe discussed in the few times they met together, but it’s obvious to me Joe didn’t have the secure upbringing you had and he is struggling with that.  You had a stable family life with parents who adored you, but even you are still struggling with the anger of being ‘abandoned’ by your parents.  And now you are being ‘abandoned’ by Joe.  But God, who will never abandon you, is bigger than all this.  You need to let him work in both of your hearts.”
     Jennifer went and sat on the arm of Marilee’s chair.  Mari reached for her hand and clutched it.  “I don’t want to go through this alone, Jennifer.  I’m so scared,” her words were hushed and full of anguish.
     “I know you are, Mari.  And you are never alone.  When the time comes we will all be there for you.”  She stood and pulled Mari up with her.  “Now go to bed.  I’ll turn everything off and lock up before I leave.”
     “Thanks, Jen.”  Mari shuffled tiredly towards the stairs then turned.  “I know my mom would want to be here, but since she can’t be then I’m glad you are.”
     As Mari trudged up the stairs, Jennifer stared after her, tears creeping down her cheeks.  She swiped them away and turned to go.  “If only, Lord,” she whispered as she shut the door behind her.

No comments:

Post a Comment