Monday, October 24, 2011

An Unexpected Miracle Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen
     The heavenly aroma of roasted turkey wafted throughout the kitchen as Mari pulled a perfectly cooked turkey out of the oven.  She pulled in the delicious scent and smiled.  Even with Joe being gone, she had decided to go ahead with the holiday celebrations.  She was so thankful this year for all the Lord had done for her.  There was a healthy baby growing within her, she was healthy, and she was able to continue working.  The only dark spot was Joe’s absence.
     Knowing her guests were going to arrive any minute, Mari straightened, stretching her arms above her head, trying to get the kinks out of her back.  Seven and a half months pregnant and feeling like a cow, she thought with a grin.  So much different from this time last year.  Last Thanksgiving she and Joe had actually been sunning on the beach in the Bahamas, taking a break from the cold.  She had been wearing a tankini then.  Now she was wearing what could pass for a tent. 
     A couple of nights ago she and Marla had been looking at pictures and laughing at the changes that had taken place in their bodies. 
    “I have a great idea,” Mari had said, picking up a picture taken of her, Marla and Gretchen in their swimsuits last summer out by the pool.  She flipped open her cell phone and punched in her speed dial for Gretchen.  “Gretch,” she said, “we need you to get over here.”  When Gretchen asked for a reason, Mari told her what they were doing.  “And bring Glen.  He can take the picture for us.”
     When Gretchen and Glen arrived Mari dragged them back to the family room where Marla was waiting.  Glen arranged them in order of baby girth with Mari being the biggest followed by Gretchen who had a small mound and Marla who was not really showing at all.  Each of them pulled their shirt taut over their bellies to show off their baby bumps.  They moved in various poses and Glen began snapping pictures, although several were blurry because he was laughing so hard his hands were shaking.  When he was finally able to take a few pictures in focus he downloaded them on the computer and sent them to Greg who was working late at the lab.
     Mari continued smiling as she lowered her arms to rub the small of her back.  Yes, things were definitely different than a year ago.  The smile faded a bit.  Yes, definitely different.
     “Mari!” Greg called from the foyer, breaking into her dark thoughts.  “We’re here!”  He deposited his snow covered boots on the rug and helped Marla out of her coat.  “Smells great!” 
     Mari poked her head out the kitchen door.  “I have everything just about ready.  Are Glen and Gretchen here yet?”
     Greg opened the door and looked out.  “Yep.  Here they come.”  When the other couple reached the front door, Greg took their coats and ushered them into the dining room.  He walked through into the kitchen and saw Mari struggling with the turkey.  “Leave that.  I’ll get it.  In fact just go sit down.  Glen and I will get this.”  He gently pushed her into the dining room and Glen followed him back into the kitchen.
     “So what is it like living with such a controlling person?” Mari asked Marla as she took a seat at the table.
     “You don’t know the half of it.  I can’t do anything.  Which I admit isn’t all a bad thing.  I haven’t had to do the dishes or the laundry since I told him I though I might be pregnant,” Marla grinned.  “I feel great, but all he can think about is how sick you were.  He pampers me totally.  So, thanks for paving the way,” she lifted her water glass in a salute.
     “Hey, not a problem,” Mari laughed.  The women talked for a couple of minutes before the men entered the dining room carrying as many dishes as they could.  “Just remember that if you drop those, I don’t have any back up.  It will be frozen pizza rolls or cereal.”
     “Are you questioning my abilities?” Glen wanted to know as he deftly slid the potatoes onto the table.  “I’ll have you know I was a waiter in my previous life.”
     “Burger King doesn’t deliver food to the tables,” Gretchen pointed out, as she took the bowl of corn out of his hands.
     “True.  But I still had to put everything on the trays.”  He took a seat next to his wife.
     After Greg was seated they joined hands.  “I’ll pray,” Greg said.  “Lord, we thank you for this wonderful day we have to come together to celebrate all the ways you’ve provided for us this year.  You have given each of us so much and filled our heart’s desires.  We ask, Lord, that you continue to bless each of these women, bring their children safely into the world, keep them healthy, Father.  And Father, we ask a special prayer for Joe.  He may not be with us in body, but we pray that you will be with him in spirit.  Let him know we’re praying for him, and bring him home soon, Father.  In your precious Son’s name, Amen.”
     Mari gave Greg a thankful look.  She was so glad they were able to pray for Joe.  She did not want him to be forgotten.
     The food was passed and plates were filled.  Mari scanned the table.  These were her dearest friends who had come to spend the holiday with her.  They all had families to go to, but they had chosen to spend this Thanksgiving with her to cheer her up in Joe’s absence.  That they would change their plans for her brought tears to her eyes.  She was so thankful for their friendship.
     The talk around the table flew.  The group was lively tonight and it was just what Mari needed.  The joy she normally felt at this time of the year was dimmed somewhat due to Joe’s absence, but the companionship of her friends went a long way towards restoring her enjoyment.
     As she picked up her glass, Mari noticed Greg darting furtive looks around.  He was up to something, she could tell.  She just was not quite sure what.  When a small dab of mashed potatoes suddenly flew across the table, she had her answer.
     “Gregory!  I’m going to kill you!” his wife shouted as the blob landed neatly on the front of her blouse.  “I told you there would be no food fights tonight.”
     Greg just laughed.  “I know, I know.  I just couldn’t help myself.  You know that if we were at my brother’s house the food would be flying.”
     “Your brother has a lot of growing up to do.”
     “True, but he is a fun guy to be around.”
     Mari listened to the exchange, and lightness stole into her heart.  She and Greg had had a few food fights over the years—his thirtieth birthday cake had been a prime example, although she had to admit she had started that one.  As she listened to Marla scold Greg about his behavior, Mari inconspicuously scooped some of her own mashed potatoes onto a spoon.  Greg was directly across from her but was turned towards Marla who sat at the end of the table.  Before she could talk herself out of it, Mari let the potatoes fly.  They hit Greg dead center of the forehead with a rather satisfying thunk.
     Startled gray eyes turned towards her, then they narrowed in challenge.  He forgot about Marla’s admonition and stood.  Tapping his water glass several times with his fork to make sure he had everyone’s attention, he announced, “This is war,” then scooped up more potatoes.  In a matter of seconds all kinds of food were flying over the table.  The squirmish finally ended when they were all laughing so hard they could not throw anything else.
     Glen sat back in his chair clutching his sides.  “I haven’t had so much fun at Thanksgiving ever!” he burst out. 
     “Don’t get used to it,” Gretchen said, using her napkin to wipe jello from her shirt.  “I have no intention of cleaning up after this.”
     Glen and Greg rose to their feet.  “Not a problem.  We’ll take care of it.”  They began piling plates and taking them into the kitchen.
     “Well,” Mari said, “why don’t we head upstairs and wash up a bit and let the men finish down here?”  The three of them rose.  When Greg came in to get another armful Mari told him they were going upstairs to clean up then would meet the guys in the living room to watch some football.  “It’s the least we can do,” she informed the ladies.  “They are doing the dishes.”
     Greg and Glen were already in the family room when the women came down.  Marla snuggled up against Greg on the couch, while Gretchen sat in Glen’s lap.  Mari sank into the recliner with an exhausted sigh.
     “Doing okay?” Marla asked, gazing at Mari with that doctor look in her eyes.
     “Just tired.  I never realized how hard it was going to be toting around all this extra baggage.”
     “Not for much longer.”
     “Yeah, it’s coming quick.”  Mari moved in her chair trying to find a more comfortable position.  “I haven’t even thought about getting the baby’s room together.”
     “What are you planning on doing?” Glen asked.  “Maybe we can help.”
     “I’ve decided to put the baby in the front guest bedroom.  It’s closet to the master so I should be able to hear the baby.  I was thinking a fresh coat of paint and maybe some wall decorations.  Make the room bright and cheery.  Lots of bold colors.”
     “Well,” Gretchen looked over at Marla, who nodded in agreement.  “Let’s go pick out some colors tomorrow.  The guys are off and the rest of the weekend is open.  Working together we should be able to knock it off in one or two days.”
     Tears came to Mari’s eyes when the others added their agreements.  “You guys are the best.”
     “Yeah, we know,” Greg said.   Marla smacked him with one of the throw pillows on the couch.  “Hey!  I was only agreeing with her. You told me to be nice.”  Marla grimaced, then settled back to watch football.
     When her friends left later that evening, Mari sat alone in the family room.  This time with her friends had been just what she needed to make the holiday less lonely.  Now it was time to make her Thanksgiving call to Uncle Andrew.  She had put off telling him about the latest development in the continuing saga of Joe and Mari and the baby-in-question.  When he hears Joe left he’ll flip, Mari thought.  Knowing him the way she did, Mari was sure he would want to come up immediately, but she did not want him changing his plans for her.  He had been spending the winters in Florida for the past five years and he loved it.  Mari had never been exactly certain of his occupation with the government, but she knew it was stressful.  Spending time being a beach bum was just what he needed.
     She picked up her cell phone and punched in his speed dial number.
     “How’s my best girl?” he answered cheerfully.
      “Hey, Uncle Andrew.  I’m good.  Big as a house.” 
      “I bet that looks good.  I remember how your mother looked.  Your dad and I used to make fun of her behind her back.”
       “Uncle Andrew!”
       “Oh, she loved it.  Besides, she and I did the same thing to your dad.  Poor guy.  He was so nervous.  I think his hands shook for the whole nine months.”  Andrew paused for a moment.  “How is Joe doing?” he asked.
       Mari hesitated before she answered.  “Okay, I guess.”
       “And that means what?” Andrew asked
       “I don’t actually know how Joe is doing, because he’s in Houston at the moment.”
       “Why is he in Houston?” Andrew wanted to know.
       “He went down for work.”
       “And when did this happen?”
       “Towards the end of October.”
       “October!”  Mari moved the ear piece away at the screech.  “You mean he’s been gone over a month?”
       “Yes.”
       “Why didn’t you tell me?  I don’t like being kept in the dark about these things, Mari.” His stern voice did not mask his concern.
     “It wasn’t my intention to keep you in the dark, Uncle Andrew.  You were already down in Florida when Joe left.  It wasn’t like you could do anything about it.”
     “I could have made him stay.”
     “Uncle Andrew, I don’t want him forced to stay with me.  I want him to stay with me because he loves me and loves this child.  He can’t do that.”  Mari’s voice broke.
     Andrew ground his teeth in frustration.  “It’s his duty to stay with you.”
     “I don’t want to be a duty.”  Before Andrew could protest, she went on.  “In his mind, I’ve broken our vows.  Biblically speaking, infidelity is a reason for divorce.  But Joe has other issues at play here that are clouding his thinking.  Until those issues are worked out, there is really nothing anyone can do, other than pray.”
     “Are you going to be okay?”
     “That depends on when you ask me.  At the moment, yes.  But that could change in five minutes, and probably will.”
     “How are you going to manage if Joe doesn’t come back?” Andrew wanted to know.
     “I haven’t really thought that far ahead, Uncle Andrew.  I love him so much I just can’t really contemplate him not being a part of my life.  If he doesn’t come back it’s going to hurt on so many levels.”
     “I’m sorry, baby.”
     “I know.  Greg, Marla, Glen and Gretchen have been a big help.  They were over tonight, and tomorrow we’re going shopping for paint to do the baby’s room.  If I keep busy, it’s easier to keep my mind off things.”  Mari sighed hugely.  “Almost.”
     “I know it’s hard, honey, but God works all things out for our good.”
     “I know that, Uncle Andrew.  It’s just difficult to see that right now.”
     “It’s always harder to see the good when we’re going through the trial.  But he has a purpose for both you and Joe.  You just have to trust Him.”  And trust your Uncle Andrew to put some sense into that boy, he muttered to himself.
     “I don’t want you going to see him, Uncle Andrew,” Mari commanded.
     “How did you do that?!”
     “You’re a lot like Dad, Uncle Andrew.  When you see a problem you feel you have to fix it.  But this is Joe’s problem, not yours, not even mine.  Joe has issues from his past that he has to work through before he can face what’s going on with me.  As hard as it is, I can and will wait for him to figure it out on his own.  Without you breathing down his neck.”
     “I don’t breathe down people’s necks.  I’m much more subtle.”
     “Like a tank, yeah, I know.”
     “I think you’re casting aspersions on my ability to handle a problem like this with kid gloves.”
     “You think?  I know you, Uncle Andrew.  I was surprised Joe married me after you got through with him.”
     “I was very gentle with him.”
     “Yeah, right.  He finally told me last year what you put him through.”
     “I did not do anything your father would not have done.”
     “My father was a state trooper, Uncle Andrew.  On my first date he answered the door wearing his shoulder holster and a very stern look.  Kevin wouldn’t come near me all evening.”
     “I always did like your dad.”
     “Just leave Joe alone, Uncle Andrew.  Promise.”
     Andrew sighed.  When she asked like that he could not deny her anything.  “Okay.  I promise.  For now.”
     “I’ll take that.  For now.”
     They spoke for a few more minutes then said good-bye.
     Mari sat back in the chair.  Andrew had given his word and would wait before confronting Joe, but Mari was pretty sure he would not wait too long.  If she was lucky, he would hold off until after Christmas.  She smiled a little.  He was a wonderful man, her father’s best friend.  Putting her hand on her bulging stomach, she rubbed until she felt the baby kick.  “You’re going to have a fantastic grandfather in Uncle Andrew, little one,” she whispered.  “Now we just have to get your wonderful father to come home.”  She pushed herself up out of the chair and headed to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment